Monday 2 April 2012

Preparations for a new season

The sails have now been carried down from the loft, packed up again, and have just been delivered to the local North Sails loft for a checkup.

They suffered a bit last season, but I am surprised at how much these can take. The only obvious problem was a small tear in the spinnaker, chafing on something when we took the spinnaker down in 36-38 knots of wind.

Looking forward to the season, will post more pictures and info as I progress.

The first activity this season looks like it will be an Elan gathering at Oscarsborg 26-27 april, where we will focus on sailing Elan boats (mostly 310s and 350s) upwind and getting some matching done. That goes straight over to the annual shorthanded training session (which is also at Oscarsborg) that weekend, where the focus is on downwind sailing and doublehanded boathandling.

Cool! If you would like to share some of your own activities, please post comments or just send me an email and I can post on the blog for others to share!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have ordered Elan 310 for our sailing school on Adriatic. Can I ask you about advise concerning sails choosing espesially for regattas.

silverminken said...

Hello Blackcat!

Sorry for the delay in a response to your comment!

The sail setup I have for the 310 is a basic and simple setup that works for both regatta and cruising. I have a North Norlam mainsail, a North 3DL 580 jib (109%), a North Norlam number 4 jib for heavier winds (20+ knots) and a North A4 asymmetric spinnaker.

I have both horizontal and vertical battens for the Norlam jib, so that I can remove the horizontal ones and put in the vertical ones to use on the furled for cruising.

The next sail I might add to the setup would be a smaller spinnaker for heavier winds.

Anonymous said...

Hello! Many thanks for reply.
Last 2 weeks I try to communicate with shipyard about options to they explain what are they but there is no answer from manager but only promises to answer. Maybe you can advise smth (except electronics, electricity - we are Raymarine dealer also and all such equippment will install by ourselve)?