Wednesday 11 November 2009

German test reveals Elan 310 IRC rating...

From the looks of it (and my somewhat poor german) the german Yacht testing of the Elan 310 versus the Archambault 31 revealed an (early) identical IRC rating of 0.987. Now, I have no doubt about the A31's performance in light winds (probably far superior to the 310, due to the extreme difference in transom width), but this does indicate that the 310 will be a fun, sporty boat!





Yacht magazine emphasized the following about the two boats in question:

A31 pros
  • Good quality finish
  • Large cockpit
  • Speed potential
  • Effective deck equipment
  • Clean looks
  • Flexible stowage system
  • High quality deck gear
A31 cons
  • No cockpit access to stowage (only from inside)
  • High price
  • Demands crew weight
  • Restricted tiller angles
  • Some trimming needs to be done from the mast
  • Table not properly fixed
  • Optional extras should have been standard

E310 pros
  • Brave design that stands out
  • Targets many purposes
  • Good build quality
  • Stiff
  • Good rudder feel despite dual rudders
  • Well-placed trim adjustments
  • Cruising-friendly interior
  • Six full-size beds
  • High-quality deck gear
  • Extensive packaged extras
  • Wheel steering option
E310 cons
  • Hidden price hit?
  • Could not go higher than 45 degrees?
  • Stowage compartments extra
As for the hidden price issue...well, Yacht seems to think that having a racing package as an extra is something that should be seen as a hidden extra price. I am not so sure about that. I actually think that what separates the 310 from the A31 is the cruising aspect. Hardly anyone would go cruising with the A31, while I am sure that a lot of 310 buyers will simply use it as a go-fast weekend cruiser (and maybe not go for the racing package).

As for beating....well, Yacht actually meant that the 310 was only good for 45 degrees on the beat. Hrmpf. That just cannot be the case. I mean, really! I simply refuse to accept that fact until I can get more information, other tests show wildly different results (obviously).

2 comments:

X-79 Norge said...

Heisann!
What is the verdict now regarding the angle on beat?

Extremely informative and nice blog by the way, one of the absolute better ones

silverminken said...

I'll see if I can get myself to post some technical data gathered from this season once I get my head together.

:)

Thanks for the nice comment!